Wednesday, August 17, 2011

And the Countdown Begins...

                Only 10 days until I leave the country.  Craziness!  Up until this point, I’ve been too busy all summer to sit and think about France.  Now, it is just around the corner and I am freaking out.  I’ve spent the day packing and tying up loose ends.  Having time to think today made me a little crazy.  My emotions have fluctuated from anxious and excited to absolutely terrified.   I planned to study a lot more French this summer, but unfortunately with Upward Bound, a canoe trip down the St. John River, a trip to North Haven, a visit from Macy, and a trip to Acadia I never found the time to study as fully as I would have liked.  Deadlines, unfortunately, do not give me any leeway.  In 10 days I will have to completely switch my mindset and talk solely in French.  Being completely immersed in a language I do not fully grasp is scary to say the least.  Considering this will be my first time traveling alone and living internationally, I am afraid that the language barrier will make all the normal worries ten times harder.  I am excited for the challenge and know I can live up to it, but am also extremely nervous. 
Today, there were a couple painters at our house and one began speaking to me in French, since my dad had told him that I was going to France next week.  I froze and had a hard time understanding what he was saying.  Like it did today, I hope that initial shock of a foreign language does not hinder what I can learn from the people in France and prevent me from actively pursuing all the country has to offer.  I was talking to a friend about how speaking a new language is my biggest fear.  She wisely said, “Don’t let it be.  Be the first to do things – like attempt to order food or make conversation with people”.  So, as of now my goal is to be brave and take advantage of where I am and not let the language stop me from interacting how I normally would with new people.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. At Ann's for dinner. Tom's bus is cancelled tomorrow, but the hurricane is supposed to dissipate before reaching here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess, Glad you arrived safe and that we had such a fun day yesterday. We miss you at the cape tonight. Mom

    ReplyDelete