Sunday, November 20, 2011

To Paris and Beyond

Right now I am on the train to Paris.  I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!! This is my first time and I want to do everything.  I am counting my blessings for my two brothers because with their help (unknown to them) I am super inspired.  Tommy gave me the book A Moveable Feast by Earnest Hemmingway before leaving, which includes excerpts that Hemmingway wrote about life in Paris as a young, poor writer in the 1920s.  His son pieced them together and created this magnificent novel posthumously.  Hemmingway runs across Scott Fitzgerald (who wrote The Great Gatsby) and James Joyce (who wrote Ulysses) as well as some other famous writers throughout the novel. He describes his gratefulness to the bookstore Shakespeare & Company for helping him out with meals, lending him books, and just providing a supportive base for him and other young writers.  That bookstore is still around to this date and I am set on going to find it.  It’s near Notre Dame and Ile de la Cité, so it shouldn’t be too out of the way!  I have 4 pages left in my journal so I’m planning on getting a journal there.  How cool is that?!?!  Maybe it’ll inspire me to try my hand at writing someday.  I’ve also been reading this awesome guide book with great pictures, descriptions, and maps of Paris that Minal gave me before I left.  I’ve been perusing it for the past hour and now I feel pretty comfortable with the set up of Paris and know which sites I definitely want to explore.  Thanks guys!

I figured it was about time I caught up on blogging.  One of my goals was to write about every weekend but I missed the last one.  I told myself at the beginning of the semester I would not lose my inspiration to blog but it’s been pretty challenging lately.  I just feel so busy all the time!  We just have a ridiculous amount of class time and I have 20-30 pages to write in French at the end of the month which I haven’t started yet!  Considering I’ve only written 2-3 pages before this I’m quite nervous.  They’re also research papers so I have to sift through material in French, try and find relative information, and then try to express what I know in French.  Quite a challenge! 

Last weekend Molly and I were going to plan a last minute trip to the Mediterranean on the southern coast of France, which is only a 2 hourish train ride from Grenoble!  Unfortunately, because of flooding we decided not to go.  It ended up working out perfectly, however, because I was still pretty tired from the last minute excursion Elita and I had the weekend before to Italy.  The weekend was super relaxing and I really got to take advantage of some local sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment