Tuesday, October 11, 2011

PARAPENTE


Today, after class, Emma and I decided to not do homework and take a trip into Centre Ville instead.  Because of yet another manifestation, part of the tram was blocked off, so we got out a stop early.  It was fate because at this stop was the most delicious outdoor fruit and vegetable market as well as a hidden indoor market which had cheese (yum), meat, and fish.  At one point we saw brains and potential animal stomachs on display, and we decided to get out of there as quick as possible.  We wandered around, checked out a few shops and did a repeat visit to the delicious cookie store Molly and I found the other week.  Then we took the overly crowded tram back to school to begin the ultimate adventure – paragliding.

The ride there was full of anticipation – Elita, Emma, Hannah, and I were freaking out and trying to mentally prepare ourselves.  Our mini-bus driver, Pierre, told us that after we paraglide we will never be able to look at the sky the same way.  Man was he wright (that’s for you Hannah).

Elita and I decided to go first.  We took the 20 minute drive up the mountain full of crazy twists and turns.  It was unbelievably high.  1,600 meters to be exact.  I strapped myself to Pierre #2 and was given instructions of what to do in French

He told me to run straight forward aka off the cliff.  I had to completely trust in his ability to keep me in the air.  If something went wrong I was a goner.  So scary.  So, I did it.  I ran forward and then all of a sudden my feet weren’t touching the ground anymore.  It was absolutely incredible.  Being in the air was surprisingly the least scary part; it was calming.  It felt like I was just floating above the mountains and the little villages below. 

The mountain I jumped off was the Belledonnes, which is part of the Alps.  From there, I could see part of Italy as well as Mt. Chamonix – the highest mountain in France.  Once we got closer to the ground, Pierre asked if I wanted to do tricks.  I sucked it up and said yes, figuring I’d regret it if I didn’t.  Plus I was the first to go; I couldn’t let down my friends who were sitting at the bottom watching me.  We did 3 different tricks – drops, circles, and loopty loops.  The drops came first.  All of a sudden we were falling straight down extremely fast, and then he would catch us with the wing.  It was like the gravitron ride at the carnival except hovering in midair above a village.  Then, he began moving in extremely tight, fast circles, which made me a little sick, followed by loopty loops.  I was literally upside down in the air.  Intense.  At the end of our ride, he told me stand, stand, stand and RUN.  The landing was super smooth - I didn’t even fall! 

Two important words I learned – debouter (to stand) and les figures (tricks).  FYI in case you ever want to faire du parapente en France.  I highly recommend it.  It’s definitely a must do if you are anywhere near the Alps!

the person jumping before me.
this is the moment before he was in the air
my guide is prepping
my ride in the right corner. 




I survived!


1 comment:

  1. I"m so proud of you for not getting sick. Remember when you got sick on the zipper at the fair? You must have made it through alive because you didn't eat a massive doughboy 5 minutes before jumping off the cliff! :)

    ReplyDelete