Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Thanks Acadians

When living in Northern Maine being Acadian is pretty much the norm.  Here, however, I’m realizing just how unique that heritage truly is.  Most of the students in my class are learning French to experience the European culture, acquire language skills for business/education careers, out of pure love for the language, or to pay less money for a college education.  I am here to do the first three but have a much stronger tie as well.  I want to reclaim a part of my culture that I have lost but which I am so proud of.  I am proud of the Acadians for surviving the great deportation of mid 18th century and for standing their ground by refusing to swear oaths to the British government.  The fact that they have maintained a strong culture to this very day is incredible considering more than 6,000 were deported to Louisiana.  I want to be a part of making the Acadian culture last for many years to come.  I also want to be able to participate in family discussions when my aunts and uncles have conversations in French at our family gatherings.  So ready for family reunion number 4. 
(Thanks for the numbers UMFK http://acim.umfk.maine.edu/derangement.html!)

Lately, I’ve been feeling pretty frustrated with my lack of progress.  All I want is to be able to understand what is happening at the dinner table.  I just cannot grasp what is going on unless I ask ceaseless questions.  Nicole has been getting quite annoyed with these questions and keeps making comments about how it is really frustrating to talk with me.  I’m trying not to let it get to me, but it really is.  I have to keep thinking back to why I’m here to get myself to keep pushing past the embarrassment.  It’s definitely making me act quieter than I usually am.  

2 comments:

  1. jess-- you can do this!! i felt the EXACT same way at first...but do not worry about your entire personality getting lost even though there is a language barrier because you are a great person with a lot to offer! the only way for you to learn is to make mistakes and keep plugging away at the language! miss you and lots of love coming from argentina<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't feel frustrated! everyone has good days and bad days. sometimes i feel like i can't understand anything and other days i feel like i can understand everything.

    ReplyDelete