Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mon amie de la Bretagne

It's 2 am here.  I seem to be much more of a late owl in Europe than I am back home.  A group of us just got back from exploring the night scene.  It was another great night!  We started out at a bar (Le Couche Tard) where there were zero people and decided to go back to the London Pub, where we went to two nights ago.  It is a great spot with loud music, a bunch of young people, yet not too big a crowd where you can’t move around (which is because they limit the numbers at the door).   After hanging out there for a while and ordering a few girafes, we decided to go bar hopping, starting with a bar on the opposite end of town which the French friend that was with us recommended.  Unfortunately, it was too crowded and the rest of the bars were either overcrowded or empty, so we ended up going back to Le Couche Tard, which was now more crowded and ended up being a really neat place.  It had long, rustic tables and black walls covered in graffiti.  While we were walking around town, we realized that the cafés are also open late into the night and seemed to be even more crowded than most of the bars.  Elliot, Molly, and I had a great discussion comparing American drinking styles to European.  We talked about how we wished it was more common to casually drink at college.  The drinking is usually done in sneakily since it is actually illegal (oh America…) and has just a completely different vibe attached to it.  In Europe, drinking is a casual function where you can just meet friends and relax – kind of like the Friday of Ivies on the Brunswick quad.   

la girife
As for today, Elliot, Molly, and I spent the day exploring Grenoble.  We started off at the Victor Hugo Park and stopped at this great ice cream vendor on the way to the café Elliot and I visited on Tuesday.  I got a small cone with coconut ice cream and surprise surprise it was the best coconut ice cream I’ve ever had – so creamy and rich!  France is seriously stepping it up in the food department.  Once again, we noted how the atmosphere here is so relaxed.  Getting drinks in the afternoon is apparently called “boire un pol”, according to Molly’s host mom.  Fun fact, while we were there, a guy sitting next to me accidentally flicked his cigarette butt on my backpack.  It was pretty funny and slightly awkward. 
ICE CREAM (Elliot and Molly)
After relaxing at the café, we explored along the Isère River.  We walked along two of the bridges which had the most beautiful views.  I’m posting pics of both views.  Can’t decide which was better.  Tomorrow the group wants to take Les Bulles up to the Bastille, which is this neat cable car that brings you up the mountain where you can view the fortifications built on the top in the Middle Ages.  I’m excited.  We’re also going to go out to eat in town and probably checking out the club scene – peut-être le club Vertigo.  The most important part about tomorrow is that we DO NOT HAVE AFTERNOON CLASS!  So exciting! 
View from Bridge 1
View from Bridge 2

Exploring!

La Riviere d'Isere and Grenoble
As for my classes, which I realized I haven’t mentioned thus far, we have had a super intense week of French workshops.  From Monday- Friday we’ve had class from 9:30-12:30 and from 1:30-3:30.  Considering I’ve never talked French for more than an hour at a time it was quite a jump!  This is a pre-orientation workshop so it is only for our group of 16 that came through Swarthmore College’s program.  Unfortunately, all of my peers are at very different levels, so it’s been pretty stressful.  The first two days everyone talked way too fast and used words that I didn’t know yet, so I couldn’t understand anything.  I adjusted to everything else besides class very well but was super upset during class because I had to sit through 5 hours of class where I didn’t understand anything.  Really take a moment and imagine feeling that way.  It sucks!  It was embarrassing to be such a lower level than my comrades.  It made me question whether I had made the right decision.  Maybe I should have studied in Ireland or London, where English is the main language.  It also made me think back to high school and my internship at REAL School.  I feel so sad for people for whom school does not come easily.  Sitting through a class where I didn’t understand anything, felt stupid, intimidated by my peers, and extremely far behind was HELL.  I cannot imagine doing that every day for the first 18 years of my life.  After talking with the teacher (and having a complete breakdown), I became more comfortable as I realized the classes are going to change next week.  Next week, I’ll be in classes with peers who are at my level and the students connected with Swarthmore will be dispersed throughout the college, so I should feel more comfortable.  I still don’t fully understand how to choosing classes works, but apparently we do not have to worry about it until next week.  I’m a little nervous considering I don’t even know what classes are offered.  The website that listed what was offered when I was applying hasn’t been updated since 2004.  Apparently there is very little correct on it.  Fail, Swarthmore. 

This afternoon during our lunch break we stopped at a small sandwich shop near the tram.  As Molly and I were walking to join the group, a girl came up to us and said, “Are you American?”  We said yes and she explained that she is from Leeds and just moved to the city.  She apparently is all alone in Grenoble with very limited French and is starting classes next week.  She asked if she could join us for lunch and of course we said yes.  She straight up said she didn’t have any friends.  She’s so bold and brave to come introduce herself!  Her name is Julia and she has a sweet British accent.  We invited her to bars tonight, but unfortunately she had to talk with her friend who was having a homesickness crisis.  Hopefully she’ll join us in touring the Bastille tomorrow! 


Let’s see other exciting things coming up are that Molly, Kaitlyn, and I are planning a trip to Switzerland in a couple weekends.  We haven’t figured out where exactly we want to go yet, but it definitely includes hiking.  I’m pumped to see Kaitlyn!!!  Molly and I cannot stop talking about it.  WE ARE IN FREAKING EUROPE.  We can literally just hope on a train an visit all the countries I’ve read about and dreamed of going.  Sometimes it all of a sudden hits me how awesome this experience truly is. Anyways, it is now almost 3 in the morning.  Considering I have to leave my house at 8:30 in the morning to get to class on time, I should probably get to bed.  Nighty night!




No comments:

Post a Comment