Thursday, September 15, 2011

Soberly Tobs and the Strange Week

This has been such a strange week.  Everyone has started their classes and are now on different schedules.  Because no one else is in the same morning class as me and I lost my phone last weekend, I have been mostly alone with nothing to do.  ALL WEEK.  At first it was awesome and I had a great time exploring the city by myself, doing errands, writing in my journal, and reading.  But at the end of this week I began to realize how important technology is in my life.  No one plans far enough ahead to let me know what is happening through email or fb the night before.  So at lunchtime, after wandering around the campus a couple times in search for friends, I did my own thing every day this week.  I finally got another cellphone today and I am reconnected with society (well, my new French society).  Now I won’t be missing out on any more opportunities for group fun! 

It’s weird to have so much down time.   After coming from Bowdoin where I hop from activity to sport to homework to hanging out, having literally nothing to do is making me crazy!  I think it’s good for me though.  The relaxed, French culture should be more widespread.  It’s so strange for me to not feel stressed out.  I don’t think that’s good…  Gotta love the American lifestyle…Workaholics.  Did you know that in France it is rude to discuss jobs?  Back home, it’s a source of pride and recognition.  Here, it’s taboo. 

Today I had my first Contemporary French Politics class.  I’m super excited about it.  The teacher is so nice and seems to really have her stuff together.  She even gave us handouts of a copy of her printed powerpoint slides!  So far in my literature, history, and politics class, we’ve talked about French history - the Bastille, the Revolution, Louis XIV, all that good stuff.  It’s cool to see how I understand more and more every day.  It’s been a huge roller coaster ride with how I am feeling linguistically.  Whenever I don’t think I am making progress, I think back to when I always felt so great after going to the weekly French table sessions at Bowdoin.  France is like French table times 1,000.

When I got back home, I skyped quickly with my dad and with his help, decided to follow my gut and become part of the hiking club at Université de Grenoble.  The club has hikes every Saturday and Sunday.  If I want to go on one of the hikes, all I have to do is going to a meeting Thursday evening to let them know.  It’s sweet because this way I don’t have to figure out the complicated logistics with buses/ trail heads if I want to go hiking and, more importantly, I’ll get to meet real French kids who are my age!  This program isn’t just for the international CUEF part of the school that I attend but it is for the entire university!  So cool!  Also, I chatted with Molly about it tonight at the bars and she signed up for the club too!  I think we might be the same person.

I’m really enjoying getting to know my new host brother Èlie.  He doesn’t know barely any English so we can’t cheat when it’s hard to understand one another.  Today I was telling him about the hiking club I wanted to join and how I had to send some guy and email with some questions.  He offered to edit it and worked with me for like half an hour on grammar.  It was so sweet!  He’s getting his masters in math at the University and is super shy but super nice. 

Per usual, Nicole was awesome.  She is just so funny.  One of the things I can remember from dinner is when Elliot got a phone call she said, “Must be his wife.”  It doesn’t sound that funny but when you picture this little old lady casually making a comment like that, it really is. 

The phone call ended up being Emma and she convinced me to go out for Adam’s birthday.  Although I was starting to get annoyed with the lack of variety in location, I’m realizing that it’s actually kind of cool to have a spot to go.  The other day when people from the London Pub were giving out flyers at school and the bartender and I mos def recognized each other.  We said salut; it was kind of a big deal.  It ended up being a super fun night and I was glad to be there, especially after having such little social interaction throughout the week.   Molly, Emma, and I made plans to go to Grenoble tomorrow – to the hiking store to get recommendations for the weekend, grab some lunch, look for some stylish/baggy pants, and for a computer bag/ purse.  It’s going to be a good time.  It’s going to be a great weekend!  Hang out with Molly all afternoon tomorrow, go to dinner and a French movie, wake up early to head to Chamonix on Saturday, and go hiking on Sunday.  Not too shabby! 

Lastly, shout out to my lovely friend EW  - Soberly Tobs :P
so many girafs
poison for the birthday boy???

The TRAM

No comments:

Post a Comment